Lucien Abrams was born in Kansas, the son of a military major and into a family of means.
Abrams graduated with a degree in art and architecture from Princeton in 1892 and went
on to study at the Art Students League in New York until 1894. From there he continued his
studies in Paris with Benjamin Constant and Jean Paul Laurens. It was in Paris where Abrams
met and was highly influenced by the work of James McNeil Whistler. Eventually Abrams
would develop a style all his own and exhibited at the New Salon of the Société National des
Beaux Arts from 1899 to 1901; from 1902 to 1914 he exhibited annually at the Salon d'Automne
and the Société des Independents in Paris. He lived in Europe for a total of nine years painting
and traveling before he returned to the states.
On March 11, 1915, Abrams married Charlotte Gina Onillon, a native of Paris and graduate of
the Sorbonne; they had one daughter. They returned to the United States and settled in Old Lyme,
Connecticut among the other art colony members and was active in the Lyme Art Association.
Abrams exhibited in many prestigious places including the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts
in 1903 and 1911, the National Academy of Design in 1907, and the Society of Independent
Artists in 1917 and 1919. Abrams paintings were shown at the Art Institute of Chicago, the Dallas
Art Association, the Dallas Women's Forum, the Fort Worth Museum of Art, and the Witte Memorial
Museum in San Antonio. He was represented at the 1925 Texas State Fair Art Exhibition by a group
of flower pieces and landscapes. One-man shows of his work were held at the Dallas Woman's Club,
the Pabst Galleries in San Antonio, and the Durand-Ruel Galleries in New York City.
He was also a member of the Dallas Art Association, the San Antonio Art Association, the American
Federation of Arts, and the Society of Independent Artists. Although Old Lyme was the artist's
principal residence, he maintained a studio at his father's home in Dallas and another house in
San Antonio. Abrams died in New Haven, Connecticut, on April 14, 1941.