John Henry Dolph
(1835 - 1903)





Mt. Washington and Humphrey's Lodge
from the Saco River

Autumn on the Saco River

John Henry Dolph is best known as painter of domestic animals, especially cats. He was born in 1835 in Fort Ann, New York. His career began as a portrait and landscape painter in Detroit in 1857, later as a painter of portraits in Cleveland from 1858 to 1861. Moving to New York City in about 1865, he attracted attention with his landscape and genre scenes of American rural life. Dolph studied in Paris and Antwerp for five years, where he was tutored in animal painting, particularly horses. After returning to New York City in 1875, and inspired by his love of dogs and cats, Dolph devoted himself to their painting.

He became an associate member of the National Academy of Design in 1877, and a full member in 1898. Other memberships included the Lotus, the Salmagundi, and the Kit-Kat Clubs. He exhibited, and won a medal, at the Pan-Am Expo in 1901 in Buffalo. He died in New York in 1903. His daughter, Florence, donated a majority of his works, and other Dolph art holdings, to The University of Nebraska Art Collection. Additional pieces are in the collection of The Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.



 

- ph: 860.434.8807 - fax: 860.434.7526
25 Lyme Street, Old Lyme, Connecticut 06371 - Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Please note that all works are subject to prior sale, and prices are subject to change.